Friday 23 November 2012

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

I find myself signed up to teach a weekly catechism class to a group of 9 first grade children. Given that I live in a German-speaking country in Europe (I won't say exactly where, as my husband has asked that I blog anonymously), these classes will be in German, a language that I speak very badly. "You can't yell at the other kids the way you do to us at home," warns our 7-year old Maeve. "It'll stress you out, Mom. They'll be bored and naughty," cautions our eldest, Luke, 11, who himself was bored and naughty when he went through these classes years ago. What on earth have I gotten myself into? It involves 20 Tuesday afternoons. I'll be bringing Maeve and Olive, our littlest one, with me to a neighboring town to teach these classes. I sometimes wonder/worry how this will go, with my German being so poor. However, I have it on Good Authority that everything will be fine, and that I'll have all the help and graces I need to accomplish this task. So here we go!

PS. I'll also post about my favorite books, and how the transition from career scientist to full-time stay-at-home mom is going. (Another thing I thought I couldn't do, but here I am!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!